Assignment: Create Headlines
Refine your summary skills by creating a headline for a local news story.
Here are some "actual" headlines (with a little humour to them)
- "Missippi's Literacy Program Shows Improvement"
- "City Council Runs Out of Time to Discuss Shorter Meetings"
- "Man Accused of Killing Attorney Receives New Lawyer"
- "Homicide Victims Rarely Talk to Police"
- "Most Earthquake Damage is Done by Shaking"
What makes an effective headline?
Read one of the stories here. Notice the headline has been removed.
Your task is to create a headline that not only summarizes the main idea but also catches the readers attention.